The Techno  Group Logo.

Phone: 021 976 7117
Fax: 021 975 3313

Home Inspections Electrical Lighting Projects Audio/Video Contact Us

Shop 7 Village Walk Centre. 25 Wellington Road, Durbanville. Cape Town.

Copyright© All rights reserved. Website, online and digital marketing by Amplexus Consulting

Frequently asked questions about inspections and certificates.

Enter CAPTCHA solution
Listen to audio CAPTCHA

Feel free to send us your questions in the form to the right, we will endeavour to respond to all questions within 24 hours, frequently received questions will be added to the list above.

Download Inspection Request Form


Or, request inspection online.

Online Request

Download our pdf document, explaining the various inspections and procedures.


Download DIY cost saving advice pdf.


Who pays for the inspections?

It is generally the responsibility of the seller to provide the new owner with these certificates and carry the cost thereof. It can be arranged that the funds are taken from the proceeds of the sale.

Why must I provide these certificates?

The different certificates are necessary for various reason, electrical, electric fencing and gas certificates are for safety reasons, a plumbing certificate is primarily concerned about water conservation and management and a beetle certificate guards against possible structural damage, each area is deemed a speciality that the prospective purchaser would not have the knowledge or skills to assess for himself, hence the certificates are the purchasers independent guarantee that all these aspects have been checked by a suitably qualified person and are within regulation.

Must I still provide these certificates if I’m selling my home “Voetstoots”?

Yes, the certificates are a requirement not protected by the “Voetstoots” clause.

Why after I have had the electrical certificate done do I suddenly have tripping problems that I have never had before?

This is normally a result of safety devices, circuit breakers, earth leakage relays, earthing that may have gone faulty or been bypassed over the years and are no longer able to detect faulty appliances being connected to the installation, this is dangerous, so once we rectify the safety devices they pick up on faulty appliances being plugged in and “trip” exactly as they are designed to do for your safety. The usual culprit appliances are kettles, steam irons and anything that may get wet or hot.

Are the specific Certificates a guarantee on my installations?

No, the certificates simply indicate that the various installations comply with regulations, we cannot guarantee that you will not have maintenance issues with an existing installation going forward. Similar to a roadworthy certificate on a second hand car. However if we have to perform rectifications in order to bring the installation up to code then we obviously guarantee the rectifications, in terms of workmanship and material used.

What is involved in the certification process?

We receive a request to perform the inspections from the client, estate agent or transferring attorney.
We contact the client to get their permission to proceed with the inspections, as the client is ultimately responsible for payment of the inspection fees.
These fees are a consultation fee, not a certification fee, and are payable irrespective of the outcome of the inspection.
Should our inspectors be satisfied that the installations are clear we will issue the certificates at no additional charge over and above the inspection fees.
Should rectifications be required we will issue a detailed report on the required work along with a quotation for us to effect the rectifications.
At this point the client is free to accept our quotation and re-engage our services to effect the required rectifications after which we will issue the certificate or alternatively he may decide to decline our quotation and have the certificates issued by another company.

Does the Electrical Certificate Cover Electrical Appliances.

No, the electrical certificate does not include appliances, appliances are covered by a different set of regulations that the manufacturer must adhere to, we do not check appliances, movable or immovable, but fixed appliances must be wired to the electrical installation by approved means.

Is the Beetle Inspection a full Pest Control check.

No, the Beetle Certificate is primarily concerned with specific Woodborer Beetle only, other pest  infestations such as mice, rats, fleas, cockroaches, birds, bees etc are not included in the Beetle Free Certificate.

I have some plumbing issues after the “plumbing certificate” has been issued.

The industry has misleadingly adopted the name “Plumbing Certificate” which would imply that it covers all aspects of the plumbing installation when it is more accurately a “CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE OF WATER INSTALLATION” and is limited to a handful of checks only.
Primarily is the geyser installed according to regulation, is the water meter operational, there are no leaks when outlets are all in the OFF position, stormwater is not running into the sewage system.
It does not cover general maintenance issues like blocked pipes or drains, low water pressure, discoloured water.
We also do not upgrade the water installation to suit the needs of the new owner, i.e. if you purchase a house that only has a cold water feed to a bathroom or kitchen, or has no facilities for dishwasher or washing machine you will need to upgrade it at your own expense.